Fresh and vibrant, our Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc pairs well with a range of delicious summer dishes. But there is one summer treat that really accentuates the flavours of this wine, and that is a zingy seafood dish. Awaken your senses with our Lemongrass & Chili Steamed Mussels recipe perfectly paired with the gooseberry, passionfruit and fresh citrus flavours in our Private Bin Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.
Lemongrass & Chili Steamed Mussels
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 long red chilli, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 golden shallots, finely chopped
- ½ bunch flat-leaf parsley, picked and coarsely chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- ½ bunch coriander, picked and coarsely chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1 kg black mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 50 ml olive oil
- 150ml Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc
How to make it:
- Score a small cross in the base of each tomato using a small sharp knife, then place in a saucepan of boiling water until skins split (30 seconds). Refresh in a bowl of iced water, drain. Peel and de-seed the tomatoes, discarding skins and seeds. Finely chop.
- Combine tomato in a large bowl with chilli, garlic, shallot, chopped parsley, chopped coriander and lemongrass. Add the mussels, toss to combine well and season to taste.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat until it begins to smoke, add mussels and tomato mixture, then add the white wine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-1 ½ minutes, then cover with a lid and cook, shaking saucepan occasionally until mussels open (3-4 minutes). Tip into a colander placed over a bowl to drain cooking liquid.