When you taste our wine, you taste the care put into the soil, the conscious tending of the vines, the careful handling of the fruit produced and the respectful relationship with the land
- Our soil is alive and we nurture it with compost from our grape marc (skins and seeds left over from the winemaking process) or by planting cover crops such as clover.
- We plant over 700kgs of wildflower seeds every year to attract beneficial insects.
- Over 30% of Villa Maria owned vineyards are managed organically, which means not using synthetic chemicals.
Who we're working with
- In 1997 we were a founding member of Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand and all our vineyards and wineries are Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand certified.
- BioGro has been a key partner on our organics journey for over 15 years. Their organic expertise gives us and our customers comfort when they certify our organic vineyards and wines.
I’ve been impressed by Villa Maria’s ongoing commitment to organic production at each level of the company, and in multiple winegrowing regions of New Zealand. It’s heartening to see a New Zealand-owned wine company leading the way among their peers with organics and sustainability.” - Jared White, Audit Manager and Viticulture Specialist for BioGro