Looking after the next generation.
Being environmentally responsible is inherent in the long-term view we take of the wine industry.
Villa Maria is a family-owned, New Zealand-based company. We believe that sustainability is a journey and focus on embedding sustainable principles into the culture of our organisation.
As a family company, the desire to leave something for the next generation is an ever-present and overriding business objective
Sir George Fistonich, Founder and OwneR
Sustainability at Villa Maria
Getting gold for going green
Where sustainability is concerned, we don't just talk about our achievements, we actively seek out opportunities to benchmark ourselves- not just against our industry counterparts, but other industries too.
As New Zealand's most awarded winery we know that awards provide excellent assurance we're meeting the highest standards of critique.
Villa Maria’s sustainable practices from vine to wine
Healthy soils and balanced ecosystems
- We plant over 700kgs of wildflower seeds every year
- All our vineyards are Sustainable Wine New Zealand certified, with over 30% managed organically
- Our food waste goes to worm farms which produce fertiliser for our vineyards
Wineries built with thought and care
- We harness natural energy using night air cooling and natural lighting
- Our new Hawkes Bay winery has Dali smart lighting throughout
- Since 2010 we have reduced our electricity use per bottle by 29%
Lifecycle focus on products
- Our glass is supplied by an NZ based manufacturer, reducing carbon emissions from freight and supporting a local business
- We reduced the weight of our bottles by 16%, decreasing the fuel required for transport
- Working with our suppliers we are removing 38 tonnes per annum of labeling waste from landfill
Reducing the impact of our operations
- Our forklifts have been electric since 2011
- Our boxes include recycled material and are able to be recycled
- 100% of our incoming plastic shrink wrap is recycled
Minimising transport emissions
- We process our grapes close to the vineyards where they are harvested
- We are moving from road transport to rail or sea freight where possible, using the lowest emissions options for wine exports
Changing the way we work
- We contribute to Sustainable Winegrowers New Zealand, Women in Wine and Organic Winegrowers New Zealand
- We are a founding partner of the Aotearoa Circle, committing to a prosperous and sustainable New Zealand economy
- Our e-Waste is recycled through Abilities, supporting a social enterprise providing people with disabilities meaningful work
Enabling responsible consumers
- We are members of the NZ Packaging Forum and are committed using packaging that is easily recycled
- To celebrate the expansion of our commercial worm farms in 2018 we gave 50 domestic worm farms away to our customers
- We are contributing to industry research on low alcohol wines to provide our customers with choice
Great wine starts with an intimate relationship with our land. For us organics is about the health of our land and our plant resources.